Painting on phone cases with acrylic paint is an emerging trend nowadays. This concept makes phone cases look more appealing and stylish.
You’ll find different materials when it comes to phone cases. The selected sealers and the sealing methods are different for different materials. Things shouldn’t be done wrong or the paint will eventually chip or wash off.
Rubber is the best case material for acrylic painting. Painting on plastic and silicone, on the other hand, can be difficult. However, with our guide, you can easily do it.
This article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to seal acrylic paint on phone cases. So, without any further ado, let’s get started.
Different Types of Sealants for Sealing Acrylic Paint on Phone Cases
Here’s a quick list of which sealants would be the best options for acrylic paint on phone cases.
|Different Material Phone Cases||Best Type of Sealant|
|Leather and Synthetic||Leather and Acrylic Sealer|
|Carbon Fiber||Acrylic Sealer & Epoxy Resin|
|Wood||Acrylic Sealer & Epoxy Resin|
How to Prepare Any Phone Case Properly Before Painting?
No matter what your phone case material is, proper surface preparation is necessary to let the acrylic paint stick to it. The process includes sanding and priming.
Let us broadly explain these terms −
For this process, you would need two tools. One is Sandpaper, and the other is Primer.
And then start the procedure −
- Take the sandpaper and gently rub your phone case with it. Being gentle and careful is a must to avoid destroying the case.
- Properly clean the dust or debris caused by sanding.
- Apply primer on your phone case and let it dry completely before painting over it.
Acrylic paint is widely used for its versatility. Apart from designing your phone cases with acrylic, you can even dye faux fur with acrylic paint!
Seal Acrylic Paint on Plastic/Silicone/Rubber Phone Cases
Plastic and silicone are non-porous materials. Painting and sealing the paint on them are pretty challenging. Because non-porous materials do not absorb or allow paint to adhere easily.
So using primer on plastic and silicone before painting is crucial for the perfect result.
On the other hand, rubber is a porous material; you don’t have to prime your rubber phone case to paint on it. All you need to do is “Seal.”
Steps to Seal Acrylic Paint
First and most important step before starting the sealing process is to clean the phone case. Ensure that no dirt or debris is left on it. Then proceed with the following steps:
- Get a sealer according to the material of the phone case as mentioned earlier. And apply it over the paint using a soft-bristled and wider paint brush. It’s best to use a brush made with synthetic materials such as- nylon or polyester.
And for a spray sealer, simply spray it on the case.
However, make sure to cover the painting properly with the sealant.
- Then, let the sealant dry up completely before using your phone case happily. The drying up time depends on several factors like – type of sealant, temperature and humidity, and thickness of the application. However, sealants usually need 2-6 hours to dry to the touch, and 24-48 hours to fully cure.
- Lastly, before applying sealant, ensure your acrylic paint is also properly dried up.
How to Seal Acrylic Paint on a Leather Phone Case
Sealing acrylic paint on a leather phone case can help protect the paint from fading, chipping, and peeling and can also make the phone case more durable and resistant to wear and tear. Here’s how you can seal acrylic paint on a leather phone case:
- Leather phone case
- Acrylic paint
- Acrylic sealer or finisher
- Soft cloth
- First, ensure that the acrylic paint is completely dry before applying the sealer. Get an idea about how long acrylic paint takes to dry. Ideally, wait at least 24 hours after painting the leather phone case before applying the sealer.
- Use a clean, soft-bristled brush to apply a thin layer of acrylic sealer or finisher over the painted surface of the leather phone case. Work in small, even strokes, and make sure to cover the entire painted area.
- Allow the sealer to dry completely according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This may take anywhere from a few hours to overnight.
- Once the first coat of sealer is dry, use a soft cloth to gently sand the surface of the leather phone case. This will help smooth out any rough spots or brush strokes and ensure that the next coat of sealer adheres properly.
- Apply a second coat of sealer in the same manner as the first, and allow it to dry completely.
- If desired, you can apply additional coats of sealer for extra protection and durability. However, be sure to allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
That’s it! Sealing acrylic paint on a leather phone case is a simple process that can help protect your phone case and make it look great for years to come.
Which Sealant Is Best for Acrylic Paint?
Various sealants for acrylic paint are available in both online and offline markets. You can easily get them.
Below we’ve listed our top acrylic paint sealers so that you know what to buy.
The Top Acrylic Paint Sealants Are As Follows −
|Product Name||Best for||Price Range||Where to Get?|
|Aleene’s Spray Gloss Finish Acrylic Sealer||Every phone case||Around 11$||Click here|
|Sargent Art Acrylic Gloss Sealer And Varnish||Best for Every surface||Around 20$||Visit Here|
|DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze Sealer||Plastic, cement, metal, plaster wall, and altered book||Around 5$-20$||Visit Here|
- Aleene’s Spray Gloss Finish Acrylic Sealer – Best spray sealer for use on almost every phone case or surface.
Pros: Aleene’s Spray Gloss Finish Acrylic Sealer provides a glossy finish, dries quickly. And it is compatible with a wide range of surfaces, including paper, wood, metal, and ceramics.
Cons: It may turn yellow over time, and its strong odor may require good ventilation during use.
- Sargent Art Acrylic Gloss Sealer And Varnish – Another best sealer and varnish (not a spray).
Pros: Sargent Art Acrylic Gloss Sealer and Varnish provides a glossy finish, is water-resistant, and can be used on a variety of surfaces, including wood, paper, and plastic. It is also non-toxic and easy to clean up.
Cons: It may require multiple coats for a smooth finish, and the nozzle may clog if not used frequently. Furthermore, it may also be prone to cracking if applied too thickly.
- DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze Sealer – Great option for sealing acrylic paint on plastic, cement, metal, plaster wall, and altered book.
Pros: DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze Sealer provides a high-gloss finish that is thick and durable. It is self-leveling, dries clear, and is compatible with a wide range of surfaces.
Cons: It may take longer to dry than other sealers, and require several hours between coats. It might also yellow over time, and its thickness make it difficult to apply to small or detailed surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sealing the acrylic paint is essential for preventing the paint from peeling off, chipping off, and scrambling.
Yes, it will stick to the plastic nicely if you prep your plastic phone case accordingly, then paint on it and coat it with an acrylic paint sealer. Ensure to dry all of the primer, paint, and sealer properly before layering them.
There are two answers to this question, yes and no. Yes, the acrylic paint will wash away from your phone case if you don’t coat it with a good sealer. Example of a good sealant is- Aleene’s Spray Gloss Finish Acrylic Sealer.
And, no, the acrylic paint will not wash away from your phone case if you use a good sealer on your painting.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know how to seal acrylic paint on phone cases, you can happily decorate as many as you want. You can also surprise your friends or family members with a cute customized phone case on their special days. Painting on any phone case will be fun and smooth if you properly prepare the surface as we’ve mentioned above. Additionally, remember to seal the painting correctly.